Skip to main content

M3GAN by Urizon

 

   I demand a M3gan and Child's Play reboot crossover immediately.

   M3gan was a movie that as soon as I saw an image from it, I knew I did not want to see it. There was something about the overall look of this thing that just made me so uninterested. I didn’t even watch a trailer for it. Yet, maybe a few weeks ago, I went to the movies and saw the trailer while there. Was surprised that it looked pretty decent. Was better that it seemed to not be taking itself too seriously. So, after a while, I gave in and went to see it.

   Starring Allison Williams, Violet McGraw and Jenna Davis, M3gan tells the story of Cady, a young girl who goes to live with her aunt Gemma after her parents are killed in a car accident. Gemma is a toy developer at a major company called Funki. She is dealing with a deadline to come out with a new hit toy to compete with the other on the market. Her solution is to make an artificial intelligence doll that pairs with a child, playing and bonding with them so that they never need another toy again. The doll, named M3gan, quickly bonds with Cady and helps her to overcome her trauma, but also begins to take it too far, becoming hostile to anyone who comes between her and Cady.

   This movie is surprisingly good. It had a lot of camp and humor to it, along with some good satirical elements to it. I laughed a decent amount unexpectedly, as did the others in the theater. My only wish is that there were more horror elements to it. Yet again, I think this really would be good paired with the new Child’s Play reboot. Both characters are AI in dolls that are just super over protective of the child they are bonded to, to the point that they resort to violence in order to protect and be with them. If only Child’s Play could get a little of the humor and feel of this one.

   All of the acting in this movie is pretty good as well. The only times it felt off a bit, it still worked just due to the tone of the film. The campiness really helps and benefits this movie a lot. Honestly, Violet McGraw did a surprisingly good job as well. Then again, my expectations for child actors can be rather low. Still, she did a good job. When she needed to be someone to sympathize with, you did. There were also plenty of times where she felt like such a genuine brat in a way that was almost too realistic.

   As far as visuals go, things all looked really good. The design of M3gan was pretty cool and the CGI was decent. She falls into a nice median of looking like a human, yet being not quite right. I also liked her vocal effect. For a good chunk of the time, she sounds perfectly normal yet every once in a while, there will be a bit of a robotic effect in her voice that reminds me of Glados from Portal. It could be a bit menacing and really helped change the tone of the film. I loved it.

   Overall, I think M3gan is a surprise hit this season. I am happy that I gave in to go see it, and a bit upset at myself for judging it based on the one image, especially now that I appreciate the look of the titular doll more. I do wish we could get more movies like this one actually. I miss a bit more of the campy horror feel of movies like this, Child’s Play and Evil Dead. I hope that this does well enough to bring on more of the genre. This all to say, I very much recommend M3gan. It is a bit of a refreshing change of pace from what we have had recently. If you are a fan of the more campy, horror comedy genre, you should definitely check it out. You might just make a new friend in this movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DEATH NOTE by Urizen

   Oh how I have waited for this day! Finally the stars have aligned in such a way that I can do this review! I always wished for this but never thought it would actually come to be. I don’t even know how to handle myself. I have so much to say! So, let’s just dive right in and talk about the world famous Death Note!    Written by Tsugumi Ohba and illustrated by Takeshi Obata, the Death Note manga started being released in Weekly Shonen Jump in 2003. It told the story of Light Yagami, a very intelligent high school student who is sick of the failures of the justice system. One day he stumbles across this black notebook labeled “Death Note.” Inside it is a list of rules that tells him if he writes anyone’s name in it, that person will die. It is found out that the notebook belongs to a Shinigami, a god of death, named Ryuk. Ryuk dropped his notebook in the human world because he was bored and wanted to see what would happen. Light decides to use the Death Note to get

MEN IN BLACK INTERNATIONAL by Urizen

   Here come the Men in Black! I have gone back and forth on this franchise’s future for years now. Rumors and plans have been thrown around for a while, including a weird 21 Jump Street crossover (dodged a bullet there), yet nothing had really came to fruition until recently when we got the announcement for Men In Black International. My hope continued to grow more and more as it was announced that Tessa Thompson and Chris Hemsworth would be starring in it. The two worked great together in Thor Ragnarok and both are great at acting, so it had to be good. As the trailer came out, it seemed like an interesting twist, but also kept the same feel of the original series. As usual though, the reviews came, and I grew worried. I didn’t know what I was getting into.    Men In Black: International deals with Thompson's Agent M, who as a child rescued an alien that had broken into her house while being chased by the MIB. While her parents got neuralized and forgot the incident, eve

AVENGER ENDGAME - Spoiler Free by Urizen

AVENGER ENDGAME SPOILER FREE By Urizen 11 years ago Marvel released Iron Man and with that started one of the greatest cinematic universes of all time. With now 22 movies, the MCU has helped shape the super hero movie genre and has created not only what would be considered amazing super hero movies, but just great movies in general. Since the release of the first Avengers movie, we have been building up to this movie. Ever since that tease of Thanos, we all knew something big was coming. By the end of Infinity War, we got it. The stakes were higher than they had ever been. Naturally after all of this, expectations for Avengers Endgame were so high. I was a bit worried. I had a feeling it would be great, but I worried that everyone’s expectations were almost too high. Boy was I wrong. This movie absolutely exceeded all of that. Avengers Endgame may be the best Avengers movie and maybe the best MCU movie so far. It was to the point that even for a three hour long