Skip to main content

WEATHERING WITH YOU by Urizen

   I keep telling myself that between reviews I will be productive and work on other projects I have. I have yet to do that, so you know what that means, time for me to dive into something else and talk about it. Today that will be the great, new Makoto Shinkai film, Weathering With You.

   I think it goes without saying, if you are a big enough fan of anime, you have heard of Makoto Shinkai's movies. His most famous one, Your Name, was highly successful both in Japan and worldwide. There is even a planned American live action remake of the film. Everyone, me included, was very excited to see what his next film would be. Finally, in 2019, Weathering With You was released in Japan with a worldwide release happening in early 2020. Trailers for the movie gave a bit of an idea what the film was about, but still left me with many questions. Questions I couldn’t wait to have answered as I eagerly awaited the release so I could go see it. Would it be able to stand up to Your Name, or would it just not be able to live up to Shinkai's last film?

   Weathering With You tells the story of Hodaka Morishima, a high school freshman that runs away to Tokyo. While there he ends up befriending a girl named Hina Amano, who has the ability to manipulate the weather. As Tokyo is being plagued with an incredible amount of nonstop rain, Hodaka comes up with the idea that, as a side job, he can help her sell her ability to bring sunshine. As events transpire, more and more mysterious things begin to happen. Will Hina be able to bring sunshine back to Tokyo once and for all? Is this movie good?

  While answering the first might be spoilers, I can answer the second one by saying, my God this movie is absolutely amazing. It probably ranks about even with Your Name, as I love both films and both had me thinking about them for a while. Though I will get it out of the way now and say that as much praise as I have for Weathering With You, it is not perfect. The third act causes me to have many questions about things that have transpired and the repercussions of them. I also had a few moments where I looked at Hodaka and called him an idiot. Really it is nitpicky stuff, so let’s talk about the good.

  I don’t want to get too much into the story, but Weathering With You certainly does have a great and intriguing one. Despite having a bit of mysticism that could easily get confusing, the film does a good job explaining it but not focusing too much on it all. Despite Hina's ability to change the weather being such an important part of the story,  this really is more so dealing with the lives of these characters and their relationships. Sure I could take some more knowledge on the mystic/supernatural aspect of it, but I don't need it. That's not the main focus here, which is something I really appreciate. There is also a bit of message on climate change that I think is handled really well.

  I also really liked every character. I know I said that I called Hodaka an idiot a few times throughout the movie, but I very much get him. That ends up being the case with all of the characters really. While I may not always be rooting for them, I understand their motivations and sympathize with them.  Without giving too much of anything away, Hodaka ends up working for a small publishing company owned by a man named Keisuke Suga. At one point Suga sort of turns against Hodaka, because if he didn’t it could ruin the chance of him getting custody of his daughter. You want to be mad at Suga for doing this, but you certainly understand where he is coming from, feeling the conflict he is going through with making this decision.

  In that same regard, Hodaka can make some foolish decisions throughout the movie, but you see what drove him to that point. I do have some questions in regards to his home life before running away to Tokyo, as I imagine that also factors into his actions. I haven’t said much about her, given how much of it would relate to the plot, but I really like Hina's character. Hina ended up finding this shrine while her mom was in the hospital. Upon praying to it and walking through, it gave her the power to change the weather. Hodaka stumbles upon her while looking for info on the mysterious “Sunshine Girl.” The two become friends and decide to bring joy to others by bringing sunlight to the constant raining Tokyo. This also allowing Hina to earn some money as she has to take care of her and her brother (who is so, so wonderful). The more you learn about Hina, and the more this story goes on, you learn just how big of a deal this is.

   Part of what makes these characters so great is the voice acting. They all bring the characters to life in such excellent ways. On top of that, it is a nice mix of unknowns and famous actors. For Hodaka and Hina, you have Brandon Engman, and Ashley Boettcher. Boettcher has been in a few things, none of which I’m familiar with, and Engman has maybe been in only one other role. I find it fascinating to have the probably most lesser known of the cast be the main characters , but they do so good of a job that I can see how this came to be. Then for some of the rest of the cast we have Barbra Goodson, Lee Pace, Riz Ahmed, and Alison Brie. Unsurprisingly, they all do a great job. I’m curious as to how the original Japanese cast is. I can only imagine they are excellent as well.

   It wouldn’t be a Makoto Shinkai movie if I didn’t mention the art. This movie is as gorgeous as his other ones. You can just sit there watching it and get distracted by it all. Especially having been to Tokyo, I found myself noting just how accurate everything was. There were times it looked so real, that I forgot I was watching an anime. One big scene in particular that stood out was a scene involving some fireworks. Between the animation and the camera work, it turned into such a magical moment. Besides the art, the music in Shinkai’s movies really add a lot, and this one ended up being no exception. When you are supposed to be sad, you feel it. When you are supposed to be in awe, the musical score, and art make sure that you experience it all. It is something that has set Makoto Shinkai’s movies apart from a lot of other anime movies.

  I want to talk more about this movie. I really do. There is so much I can go on about, so many questions I have. Unfortunately to get into anything else starts diving into major spoiler territory. At the time of this review going up, the movie is no longer in theaters, but when this becomes available online or on DVD, it is one that you must go see. While not as easy for non anime fans to get into as something like A Silent Voice or even some other of Makoto Shinkai’s works, it is one I have to recommend everyone go check out. With a great story, wonderful characters and stellar animation and soundtrack, Weathering With You is a great movie all around. It holds high ratings currently, and that is with reason. So, next time you have some free time, check out Weathering With You and let some sunshine into your life, it will certainly not leave you disappointed that you watched it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DEATH NOTE by Urizen

   Oh how I have waited for this day! Finally the stars have aligned in such a way that I can do this review! I always wished for this but never thought it would actually come to be. I don’t even know how to handle myself. I have so much to say! So, let’s just dive right in and talk about the world famous Death Note!    Written by Tsugumi Ohba and illustrated by Takeshi Obata, the Death Note manga started being released in Weekly Shonen Jump in 2003. It told the story of Light Yagami, a very intelligent high school student who is sick of the failures of the justice system. One day he stumbles across this black notebook labeled “Death Note.” Inside it is a list of rules that tells him if he writes anyone’s name in it, that person will die. It is found out that the notebook belongs to a Shinigami, a god of death, named Ryuk. Ryuk dropped his notebook in the human world because he was bored and wanted to see what would happen. Light decides to use the Death Note to get

MEN IN BLACK INTERNATIONAL by Urizen

   Here come the Men in Black! I have gone back and forth on this franchise’s future for years now. Rumors and plans have been thrown around for a while, including a weird 21 Jump Street crossover (dodged a bullet there), yet nothing had really came to fruition until recently when we got the announcement for Men In Black International. My hope continued to grow more and more as it was announced that Tessa Thompson and Chris Hemsworth would be starring in it. The two worked great together in Thor Ragnarok and both are great at acting, so it had to be good. As the trailer came out, it seemed like an interesting twist, but also kept the same feel of the original series. As usual though, the reviews came, and I grew worried. I didn’t know what I was getting into.    Men In Black: International deals with Thompson's Agent M, who as a child rescued an alien that had broken into her house while being chased by the MIB. While her parents got neuralized and forgot the incident, eve

AVENGER ENDGAME - Spoiler Free by Urizen

AVENGER ENDGAME SPOILER FREE By Urizen 11 years ago Marvel released Iron Man and with that started one of the greatest cinematic universes of all time. With now 22 movies, the MCU has helped shape the super hero movie genre and has created not only what would be considered amazing super hero movies, but just great movies in general. Since the release of the first Avengers movie, we have been building up to this movie. Ever since that tease of Thanos, we all knew something big was coming. By the end of Infinity War, we got it. The stakes were higher than they had ever been. Naturally after all of this, expectations for Avengers Endgame were so high. I was a bit worried. I had a feeling it would be great, but I worried that everyone’s expectations were almost too high. Boy was I wrong. This movie absolutely exceeded all of that. Avengers Endgame may be the best Avengers movie and maybe the best MCU movie so far. It was to the point that even for a three hour long