Skip to main content

STAMPEDE RAMPAGE: Loveley beasts scaping - First Impression by Urizen


   Apps are at a weird time. It is at that point in life where there is an app for everything. Want to order food? Use an app. Check the weather? There’s an app for that. Learn a new language? Sure! Duolingo can stalk you. It is pretty awesome to think that so much is this easy to access now.

   With all of these apps though, we also have the games.  No longer limited to just Snake, now you can play an ever growing assortment of games on your phone and tablet. There had been a time where mobile gaming was made fun of because it was just Angry Birds and Candy Crush style games, but now there are phones run games we play at home on consoles. You can go and play the classic Sonic the Hedgehog games or download and play the more recent battle royal game PubG. It is amazing to see how far things have come in such a short period of time.

   To continue my First Impressions series, I decided to go into the Google Play App store and go to the early access games to try some of these out. The first I am going with is by Tokyo Play and is called “Stampede Rampage: Loveley beasts scaping!” Not quite correctly spelled and not even totally sure what is meant here, but sure. Let’s see how this goes. It has animals and looks cute, might be fun.

   So the game wastes no time throwing you right into things. You are this small stampede of maybe three animals and you have to collect coins and fruit. Seems to be like your typical endless runner. It moves on its own throughout the course while you tap once to jump, hold to jump higher and hold then tap to double jump. As you collect three fruits of the same kind in a row, you unlock more animals to join the stampede.

   Well, seems as if I was wrong, it isn’t an endless runner, it is comprised of levels that you must get to the end of. After the first, you are forced to use your coins to buy this next animal, a zebra. I hate when a game takes you through a tutorial and makes you buy stuff. I just want to save my coins. Also the animal shapes give me Angry Birds mixed with Crossy Road vibes and I wonder if that was intentional.

   After getting the Zebra as your next stampede member, you are taken to a basic menu. You can see your stampede from there and view the animals. It looks as if there are 23 in the game. I wonder how hard it will be to get them, but also what will keep people playing after getting them all. There is also a map that you can view to reveal a bunch of different locations. From the menu, it gives you the option to move to the first real level.

   It looks like as you complete the level, you get purple gems. I’m not sure if that is just based on how well you do or not. One thing I do like is that you have to get the 3 fruit in a row to add to your in level stampede. They will occasionally have another kind of fruit in between two of the same kind, so it makes you have to actively dodge things you should be collecting just to get a completely different thing you need. You have to weigh your options.

  As you fall off or run into obstacles in game, you lose a member of your stampede. I imagine once you run out, it is over and you lose a life. Honestly, the game controls pretty easily and is responsive. Hasn’t been a moment that I’ve tapped and it hasn’t registered. There have been moments where I will collect enough fruit for another animal though, only to have it spawn off the level immediately which isn’t great.

   While level two gave us upper and lower paths to choose from, level three also added moving obstacles. I honestly have lost a few animals from some of the moving blocks, but so far none of the levels have been exactly difficult. Level three also introduced mines. Unfortunately the game never tells you what they are; you just have to figure it out yourself. Safe bet that if it isn’t a fruit, power up or coin, jump. When you have a stampede of eight or more animals though, getting hit isn’t going to do much to bother you. I did receive my first game over. It gives you the option to either pay coins to continue or just restart. Unless the levels get much longer, I don’t see the point of continuing. Also I find myself randomly dying and I don’t know why. Randomly I’ll see an animal get knocked out of my stampede, but I didn’t seem to fall off the level or run into an obstacle. I don’t know. Maybe I’m just missing something. I did miss that the other purple gems seem to be hidden through the level. Saw one in a hard to get spot while going.

   What’s really frustrating is the lack of variety in designs. The level layout changes with each level and does have additions to the format occasionally, but the backgrounds stay the same. So far I’m only on the first map, so maybe if I progress past that, it will change. Unfortunately as of right now, all the background has for me are a bunch of random buildings, and advertisements for what I assume is the developers other game. Constant billboards and blimps advertise this thing. It is frustrating and annoying.

   All in all, I have played ten levels of Stampede Rampage, and it’s fine. The game is pretty cute with some pretty decent designs to the animals, and nice bright colors. The gameplay, while repetitive, is easy enough for most anyone to understand. It certainly needs some improvements and balancing though. Within those first ten levels, they start to throw a lot of obstacles at you at once. One of those things was if you are very experienced with these sorts of games, then maybe it will go fine, but if you are a child looking at a cute animal game then you will have a hard time.

    The backgrounds get very boring to look at after a while, just repeating buildings and the constant advertisements to download the developer’s other game. On top of it all, the game will sometimes either respawn you above a hole or have one of your other animals get caught and fall off as you keep pushing on. Can make it frustrating when you don’t even know what you did wrong.

  Stampede Rampage certainly isn’t a game I can see anyone keeping on their phone for an extended period of time. While fun enough for a bit, there are plenty of other games that have the same formula that just do it better. I’d say unless the full release improves on a lot of the issues, this game is a bit of a dud that even an elephant wouldn’t remember.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DEATH NOTE by Urizen

   Oh how I have waited for this day! Finally the stars have aligned in such a way that I can do this review! I always wished for this but never thought it would actually come to be. I don’t even know how to handle myself. I have so much to say! So, let’s just dive right in and talk about the world famous Death Note!    Written by Tsugumi Ohba and illustrated by Takeshi Obata, the Death Note manga started being released in Weekly Shonen Jump in 2003. It told the story of Light Yagami, a very intelligent high school student who is sick of the failures of the justice system. One day he stumbles across this black notebook labeled “Death Note.” Inside it is a list of rules that tells him if he writes anyone’s name in it, that person will die. It is found out that the notebook belongs to a Shinigami, a god of death, named Ryuk. Ryuk dropped his notebook in the human world because he was bored and wanted to see what would happen. Light decides to use the Death Note to get

MEN IN BLACK INTERNATIONAL by Urizen

   Here come the Men in Black! I have gone back and forth on this franchise’s future for years now. Rumors and plans have been thrown around for a while, including a weird 21 Jump Street crossover (dodged a bullet there), yet nothing had really came to fruition until recently when we got the announcement for Men In Black International. My hope continued to grow more and more as it was announced that Tessa Thompson and Chris Hemsworth would be starring in it. The two worked great together in Thor Ragnarok and both are great at acting, so it had to be good. As the trailer came out, it seemed like an interesting twist, but also kept the same feel of the original series. As usual though, the reviews came, and I grew worried. I didn’t know what I was getting into.    Men In Black: International deals with Thompson's Agent M, who as a child rescued an alien that had broken into her house while being chased by the MIB. While her parents got neuralized and forgot the incident, eve

AVENGER ENDGAME - Spoiler Free by Urizen

AVENGER ENDGAME SPOILER FREE By Urizen 11 years ago Marvel released Iron Man and with that started one of the greatest cinematic universes of all time. With now 22 movies, the MCU has helped shape the super hero movie genre and has created not only what would be considered amazing super hero movies, but just great movies in general. Since the release of the first Avengers movie, we have been building up to this movie. Ever since that tease of Thanos, we all knew something big was coming. By the end of Infinity War, we got it. The stakes were higher than they had ever been. Naturally after all of this, expectations for Avengers Endgame were so high. I was a bit worried. I had a feeling it would be great, but I worried that everyone’s expectations were almost too high. Boy was I wrong. This movie absolutely exceeded all of that. Avengers Endgame may be the best Avengers movie and maybe the best MCU movie so far. It was to the point that even for a three hour long