Skip to main content

JUMANJI: THE NEXT LEVEL by Urizen


   I was always unsure of the idea of doing a sequel/reboot of the Jumanji franchise. The original was so iconic and classic. Throw in Robin Williams and his passing, and it made the whole thing seem impossible.  When Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle came out in 2017, I gave in and went to see it. It had Karen Gillan and Dwayne Johnson in it. There was no way I wasn’t going to see it. To my surprise, I really enjoyed the movie. I thought it was very funny, and did a good job at paying homage to the original while still making sure to stand on its own. It was a success so naturally a sequel was eventually announced, which is where we are today.

Starring Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Karen Gillan, Jack Black, Danny DeVito, and Danny Glover, Jumanji: The Next Level, sees our group return to the world of Jumanji when Spencer ends up going into the game once again. Martha, Fridge, and Bethany must fight back against the broken game to find their friend. This time though they must also deal with Spencer’s grandfather, Eddie, and his friend Milo who have also been sucked into the game. Will they be able to find Spencer and make it out of the game safely, or will it be game over for the gang? Better yet, is this game over for the beloved franchise?

   I was surprised to find this movie, once again, to be pretty good.  I really enjoyed myself throughout the movie from beginning to end. The humor was pretty spot on with very few jokes falling flat. I’d say it did a good job at giving everyone their moment to shine and get their jokes in. I might be a bit biased  though as one of my favorite types of comedy is when an actor has to act like another actor. There is so much of that in this film, with all of it working excellently.

   On that subject, everyone’s acting in this movie was really great. I can’t really think of any weak link throughout. Both the real world, and the video game cast have such great chemistry. They all work off each other very well and come off as very believable. You can also tell that they are all having the time of their lives filming this. It was refreshing if I’m being honest.

  I do have to say, despite having great comedy, great acting, a decent story and some pretty well done emotional moments, this movie for me isn’t as good as the last one. At least right now. I could see myself changing that opinion in the future. I don’t even know why this one doesn’t work as well for me. They are both very close, but something about Jumanji: The Next Level puts it just below Welcome to the Jungle for me. It could have something to do with the pacing. For whatever reason, everything seemed to really fly by. When the film got to the final act, I felt I had only been watching it for like an hour. It was around a two hour movie, but truthfully could have benefited from being a little longer. In the end, I think that is really what's holding it off from being a better film.

   As I said, Jumanji: The Next Level is a funny, well acted, pretty well written, and well done sequel. It has some good ideas, plays well off the strengths and weakness of the actors and felt like a natural progression for the Jumanji franchise. Unfortunately, pacing does seemingly cause it to feel very rushed and lacking compared to the last film, but that doesn’t stop it from being a great film that is worth seeing. I look forward to hopefully seeing what more this franchise can bring. With the video game concept, they wouldn’t even have to keep the same actors. I truly hope things don’t go downhill for the series though from here on out. It will be great to see it go on further and further to the next level.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DEATH NOTE by Urizen

   Oh how I have waited for this day! Finally the stars have aligned in such a way that I can do this review! I always wished for this but never thought it would actually come to be. I don’t even know how to handle myself. I have so much to say! So, let’s just dive right in and talk about the world famous Death Note!    Written by Tsugumi Ohba and illustrated by Takeshi Obata, the Death Note manga started being released in Weekly Shonen Jump in 2003. It told the story of Light Yagami, a very intelligent high school student who is sick of the failures of the justice system. One day he stumbles across this black notebook labeled “Death Note.” Inside it is a list of rules that tells him if he writes anyone’s name in it, that person will die. It is found out that the notebook belongs to a Shinigami, a god of death, named Ryuk. Ryuk dropped his notebook in the human world because he was bored and wanted to see what would happen. Light decides to use the Death Note to get

MEN IN BLACK INTERNATIONAL by Urizen

   Here come the Men in Black! I have gone back and forth on this franchise’s future for years now. Rumors and plans have been thrown around for a while, including a weird 21 Jump Street crossover (dodged a bullet there), yet nothing had really came to fruition until recently when we got the announcement for Men In Black International. My hope continued to grow more and more as it was announced that Tessa Thompson and Chris Hemsworth would be starring in it. The two worked great together in Thor Ragnarok and both are great at acting, so it had to be good. As the trailer came out, it seemed like an interesting twist, but also kept the same feel of the original series. As usual though, the reviews came, and I grew worried. I didn’t know what I was getting into.    Men In Black: International deals with Thompson's Agent M, who as a child rescued an alien that had broken into her house while being chased by the MIB. While her parents got neuralized and forgot the incident, eve

AVENGER ENDGAME - Spoiler Free by Urizen

AVENGER ENDGAME SPOILER FREE By Urizen 11 years ago Marvel released Iron Man and with that started one of the greatest cinematic universes of all time. With now 22 movies, the MCU has helped shape the super hero movie genre and has created not only what would be considered amazing super hero movies, but just great movies in general. Since the release of the first Avengers movie, we have been building up to this movie. Ever since that tease of Thanos, we all knew something big was coming. By the end of Infinity War, we got it. The stakes were higher than they had ever been. Naturally after all of this, expectations for Avengers Endgame were so high. I was a bit worried. I had a feeling it would be great, but I worried that everyone’s expectations were almost too high. Boy was I wrong. This movie absolutely exceeded all of that. Avengers Endgame may be the best Avengers movie and maybe the best MCU movie so far. It was to the point that even for a three hour long